Weird & Surprising Auto Laws from across the Country
Posted March 11, 2015
We’re all too familiar with parking and speeding tickets… but did you know it’s illegal to drive a black car on Sunday in Colorado?
The auto repair experts at Chase Automotive are here to keep you informed and keep your vehicle safe – give us a call at 303.344.4670 for vehicle maintenance and stay safely on the roads in Aurora.
From common sense to just plain weird, there are some unusual traffic laws across the country. And while not all of these may be strictly enforced, it’s worth a look at these surprising auto tickets:
No Common Sense…
- It’s illegal to drive while blindfolded (Alabama)
- Don’t take a nap on the street… it’s illegal to “use the road as a bed” (Eureka, California)
- Not only is it unwise, it’s illegal to jump from a car at 65 mph (Glendale, California)
- Stay on the roads! It’s illegal to drive on sidewalks (Dunn, North Carolina) or through playgrounds (Dublin, Georgia) or through a cemetery (Dunn, North Carolina)
- You’ll be fined for reading a comic book while driving (Oklahoma)
What about two wheels?
- When you’re on your bicycle, you must resist “fancy riding” (Galesburg, Illinois)
- No roller skating on the streets – stick to the side walks (Canton, Ohio)
- The above law also applies to “any coaster, toy vehicle, skateboard or similar device” – with a fine up to $1,000!
Our Furry Friends
- Dogs may favor fire hydrants and inviting human legs, but you’ll get a fine if your dog “molests” a vehicle (Fort Thomas, Kentucky)
- It’s illegal – and horrible – to tie a dog to the roof of a car (Alaska)
- Even if you work as a chauffeur, it’s illegal to drive a vehicle with a gorilla in the back seat (Massachusetts)
Turn down the volume!
- It’s illegal to honk the horn of another person’s car (University City, Missouri)
- Don’t screech your tires – it’s a misdemeanor, and you’ll spend 30 days in jail! (Derby, Kansas)
- You must honk before passing another vehicle on the road (New Jersey)
- It is illegal to blare a car horn where sandwiches or cold drinks are served after 9 p.m. (Arkansas)
- If you’re craving breakfast pastries, you’d better drive-thru — You’ll get a ticket if you park in front of this Dunkin Donuts. (South Berwick, Maine)
- It is perfectly LEGAL to scavenge road kill. (West Virginia)
- Careful with that drink! It’s illegal to spill your margarita on the street. (Hermosa Beach, California)
- You’ll have to walk to the liquor store if you want to drink beer at home – it’s illegal to drive with beer in your car, even if it’s unopened. (Scituate, Rhode Island)
Keep it Clean…
- You can get a ticket for having a dirty car! If your vehicle leaves mud, dirt, or other substances on the road, you’ll be fined (Minnetonka, Minnesota)
- Don’t store trash in your vehicle, it’s illegal – due to a rodent issue… (Hilton Head, South Carolina)
- Keep your clothes on! It’s illegal to disrobe while in your vehicle (Sag Harbor, New York)
- Cursing from your vehicle is a misdemeanor. You’ll get a fine if you’re heard swearing in earshot of another driver, pedestrian, or vehicle (Rockville, Maryland)
This infographic from Visually shows some of the weirdest traffic laws from all 50 states.
What strange traffic laws have you encountered? Let us know! To keep your vehicle safely on the road, schedule an inspection with our auto care experts: 303.344.4670.
Previous Post « EXTREME Road Conditions – Could your car handle these roads?
Next Post Spring Car Care Tips »
Categories: Auto Repair Aurora, Automotive News, Car Fun, Uncategorized
Tags: , auto laws, auto laws by state, strange auto laws, vehicle maintenance, vehicle safety