The 5 Thanksgiving Travel Tips Every Driver Needs to Know
Posted November 15, 2013
According to a 2012 AAA report, the number of Thanksgiving travelers has been steadily increasing since 2008. In fact, there were 43.6 million Americans traveling 50 miles or more during the Thanksgiving weekend, and 90% of those travelers (39.2 million) were making the trek by car.
You can count on the roads throughout Aurora to be crowded this holiday season, so our team has some key tips to help you reach your destination safely!
1. Check your tire pressure: Tire pressure can easily be forgotten. If they aren’t properly inflated, you can decrease your gas mileage up to 0.6 MPG. Also, if you come across any inclement weather during your holiday travel, over or under inflated tires can cause a loss of traction and lead to an accident. Tires should be checked before your holiday journey to keep you safe.
2. Spark Plugs: When is the last time you checked or changed your spark plugs? A dirty, corroded or improperly installed spark plug can leave you stranded on the side of the road during your holiday travel. It will also decrease your MPG by a whole 2 MPG.
3. Don’t wait for an empty gas tank to fill up: Once your gas tank drops below half-full, it becomes easier for the remaining gas to evaporate. As you travel to your Thanksgiving destination, fill up when you’re down to half a tank. You’ll be able to take more breaks and rest to keep you energized during your trip and you’ll save some money at the gas pump.
4. Your headlights could just be dirty, not dim: You don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars for brighter headlights during your Thanksgiving commute. Chances are they just need to be cleaned, not replaced. Our shop will polish and clean your headlights for a fraction of what replacement lights would cost.
5. Buckle up: Safety belts reduce the risk of fatal injury by 45 percent and are a simple way to increase your safety on the road. There is plenty of law enforcement patrolling the roads over the holidays. Don’t fall victim to a ticket you can easily avoid.
From diesel to transmission repair, we’ll provide some of the best auto repair in Aurora. If you have any question or concerns, stop by or call us at (303) 344-4670 and let us inspect your vehicle and prevent any untimely
Previous Post « Auto Repair Tips: Preparing your car for cold weather
Next Post Diesel Repairs and Diesel Emission Testing »